The ISL season 8 has been kicked off and we have seen some amazing matches. The defending champions and ISL shield winners MUMBAI CITY and FC GOA are clashing against each other in their respective hero ISL openers. Both teams are looking great and will be willing to start their campaign with a win.
MUMBAI CITY FC
After the departure of Sergio Lobera,MCFC will be playing their first match under the new coach Des Buckingham. The new boss has made some changes to his team since arriving by adding two Brazialns Cassio Gabriel and Ygor Catatau, He also signed the previous ISL season’s golden boot winner Igor Angulo, India’s Lalengmawia Ralte.MCFC have also replaced their departures Hugo Boumous and Amarinder Singh by replacing them with the Australian playmaker Brad Inman and the goalkeeper Mohammed Nawaz.
GK: Mohammed Nawaz
Defence: Amey Ranawade, Rahul Bheke, Mourtada Fall,Vignesh
Midfield: Apuia Ralte, Ahmed Jahouh, Raynier Fernandes
Attack: Bipin Singh, Igor Angulo, Ygor Catacau
1)Whenever we talk about Mumbai City Fc,s strengths, we talk about their attack and that is their 37-year-old Ygor Angulo. He already made up his mark for Fc Goa in the last ISL season scoring 14 goals and winning the golden boot. He would cause a great goalscoring threat to Fc Goa’s Defence. Also, the Brazilian Ygor Catatau and the Indian left-winger Bipin Singh can cause problems to Goa.
2)Mumbai City have made their Midfield even stronger than last season by signing Lalengmawia Ralte(Apuia) who is also called by the name Ball Magnet. He was last ISL season’s Emerging player of the season winner and he has been in great form since India’s SAFF championship victory. He can be the key player for MCFC. Moroccan Ahmed Jahouh also could be effective by spraying his long through balls and long passes, and Ranynier Fernandes could play the number 10 role of playmaking for MCFC.
3)MCFC have a variety of good options on the bench like Indian winger Vikram Pratap Singh, Left back Gurkirat Singh, Forward Cassio Gabriel, playmaker Brad Inman, Rakip, Naocha and many more. They could also be effective for them.
1)They have one of the best central defenders in the league which is the Senegalese Mourtada Fall. He could be a key player for them but with Mourtada Fall they will have to pair Rahul Bheke who is been struggling with his recent form for his country.
Players to watch out for
1) Igor Angulo
Probably one of the best centre forwards in the league. His finishing and goal-scoring ability are unbelievable. He also gets involved in the link-up plays. If he gets proper supply he can cause FC GOA a problem.
2) Mourtada Fall
The 33-year-old centre back is a clear definition of rock at the back. He is solid, brave and very good in the air and also in the duels. He is also the highest goal-scoring defender in the history of ISL with a total of 13 goals. Fali also could be a player to watch out for them.
The 21-year-old CDM could be a key player for MCMC to avoid FC Goa’s aggressive pressing. His turns his passing accuracy and his ability to keep ball possession is simply incredible. He also could be a standout player for MCFC.
Juan Ferrando will start this new season with very much the same squad as last season. Clearly, he wants to execute his plans right and learn from previous mistakes for that to happen. Goa has a total mix of experienced international as well as young domestic players, who fit in coach’s tactics. FC Goa has a rich history of missing playoffs berths just once in seven seasons, this form will be looked upon to be forwarded. Their Durand Cup success will be a morale boost ahead in this tournament.
Goalkeeper: – Dheeraj Singh
Defense: – Seriton Fernandes, Ivan Gonzalez, Albon Dohling, Sanson Pereira
Midfield: – Edu Bedia, Glan Martins, Brandon Fernandes
Attack: – Romario Jesuraj, Airam Cabrera, Jorge Ortiz
- They have replaced very fewer players and hasn’t much disturbed their core which was last season. They retained their overseas players like Edu Bedia, Jorge Ortiz, Ivan Gonzalez, and Alberto Noguera. Replacing players such as Dylan Fox have greater records in ISL campaigns.
- Edu Bedia was previously in deeper positions under Ferrando. He is going to be the key player again this season in midfield. Glan Martins has improved himself over time and his partnership with Bedia is going to be the key this season. Brandon Fernandes will also be the key, being India’s best creative midfielder.
- Jorge Ortiz was FC Goa’s most energized player last season and he hopes to play ahead this season. Other players are also expected to perform, one being the right-winger, Romario Jesuraj, who has his debut season.
- FC Goa doesn’t have an Indian centre-back. That will force them to name two foreign centre-backs and choosing two other foreign players will be dicey from there on.
- Airam Cabrera has very less of an experience for a foreigner player, as he has six appearance for his first Club Wisla Plock. Then in 2019/20 season, he played for Extremadura UD scoring once and having two assists in 12 appearances. These are not an impressive statistics for a foreign player in ISL.
Players to watch out for
The most impeccable keeper over the years, who made his mark in India U-23, is back with FC Goa this season. He has good reflexes to cope up with his limited reach. He can save quick counters and long-range shots. Dheeraj Singh will be the key player on the nets.
Due to his best performance for FC Goa last season, FC Goa has retained him this season. Bedia plays deep, though has a greater impact on the overall game. He can steal balls and make plays ahead. He is very into covering the ground and is also the man of the midfield.
The livewire in attack, Jorge Ortiz is going to be the MVP in matters of scoring goals. Very opportunistic, he can take shots from wherever and whenever possible. He will be the main man for scoring goals tonight.
These two sides has lots to offer with the context of football played. It is going to be a cracker of a game with the expectations that lies ahead. So sit back and enjoy the game with you lucky charms in hand. All we can promise is a good entertaining football.
For more such articles do click here