Wolverhampton Wanderers will be hosting Tottenham Hotspurs in the Matchday 02 of the Premier League. These 2 teams will meet for the 15th time in the Premier League. The home side, managed by newly appointed Bruno Lage. Wolves approaching this game having lost their first game in the new season to Brendan Rodgers Leicester City, wherein a first-half goal by Jamie Vardy was enough to seal the deal for Leicester.
Newly appointed ex wolves head coach Nuno Espirito Santo will lead the Spurs. He has had quite an astonishing start to the season. They beat the reigning English Premier League champions Manchester City led by Pep Guardiola by 1 goal to nil, credits to a second-half goal by Heung Min Son, against one of his favorite opponents. They then lost to Portuguese side F.C. Pacos de Ferriera by 1 – 0 in the playoffs for the UEFA Conference League.
Head to Head
|Premier League Games in total – 14|
Facts of the game between Wolves and Spurs
- In total, this is going to be the 100th meeting between both the clubs in all the competitions.
- In the last meeting, Spurs won 2 – 0 at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium with goals from Harry Kane and Pierre – Emile Hojberg sealing the deal.
- Spurs will be looking to make it successive wins over wolves for the first time. The last time such happened was back in 2003 – 04.
- Wolves have not won more than one fixture out of their last seven Premier League fixtures at the Molineux against Spurs – two draws, four losses and the last victory dating back to February 2007, a 1 – 0 victory.
- Spanish full back Jonny and center back Willy Boly will be missing for the action for the match.
- There are doubts over Portuguese Internationals Pedro Neto and Daniel Podence, Colombian center back Yerson Mosquera and American midfielder Owen Otasowie, who has joined Club Brugge.
Formation – 3 – 4 – 3
GK- Jose Sa
Defense – Leander Dendoncker, Conor Coady, Romain Saiss
Midfield- Ki – Jana Hoever, Ruben Neves, Joao Moutinho, Rayan Ait – Nouri,
Attack- Francisco Trincao, Raul Jimenez, Adama Traore
- Tottenham head coach Nuno was unsure if Manchester City linked star striker will be available for the match.
- Apart from him, there are no injuries, suspensions and doubts for this match and he will be able to field a full strength team, barring Harry Kane if he misses out.
Formation – 4 – 3 – 3
GK- Hugo Lloris
Defense – Japhet Tanganga, Davinson Sanchez, Eric Dier, Sergio Reguillon
Midfield – Pierre – Emile Hojberg, Oliver Skipp, Dele Alli
Attack- Lucas Moura, Son Heung – Min, Steven Bergwijn
Players to watch out for
Son Heung – Min
The South Korean international will be spear leading the attack in absence of Harry Kane and the onus will be on him to score/provide goals and lead the attack for the team.
The guy who’s become a fan – favorite. It will be an uphill task for him in the center of the pitch to work his way against the stacked Wolves midfield.
It will be a task for him to keep Raul Jimenez in check, who certainly had a very good outing against Leicester. Sanchez performed exceptionally well against Manchester City, barely putting a foot wrong, and will be looking to replicate his performance.
He will be looking to score his first goals since the return from injury and what better occasion to do so, against a fully packed Molineux, bustling with home supporters and who will be cheering on him.
He will look to have a good outing and score and provide goals for his side against a side that is apparently interested in him.
The ex-Benfica goalkeeper will certainly be having a busy evening against a gutted Spurs attack. He will certainly be looking to repel the attacks, keep a clean sheet and bring the win for his team.
With Nuno Espirito Santo visiting Molineux this time in the opposition camp, it will be interesting to see how the crowd welcomes him. Raul Jimenez will look for his first competitive return in front of the home crowd after being out for nine months. With Harry Kane nearing his return as well, all eyes will be on Spurs to see how they can build on their mid-week (UEFA Conference League) setback. For Wolves with important players doubtful (Podence, Pedro Neto, Willy Boly) it will be interesting again how Bruno Lage lines up his playing XI. Certainly one of the super Sunday fixtures which will excite the PL lovers.
Prediction: Wolves 1 – Tottenham Hotspur 2
For more such articles do click here