After Atletico Madrid ‘s last match got postponed due to bad weather, they will look to extend their lead at the top of the table, whilst having played 3 less games currently, than their closest rivals Real Madrid. Remarkably enough, Diego Simeone’s men have played the least number of games in La Liga, while securing the most points.
On the other hand, Sevilla currently sits at 6th position in the table. However, they have played just 16 games in the league so far. Consequently, they will look to move up the table to secure a spot for European football next season. A win against Los Rojiblancos could also propel them to 4th position, thus increasing their chances to secure a Champions League spot next season.
Atletico Madrid and Sevilla are on an even footing as far as the head-to-head record is concerned and have won 16 games apiece out of a total of 47 matches played between the two teams.
The previous meeting between the two sides in March last year ended in an exhilarating 2-2 draw. Luuk de Jong, Lucas Ocampos, and Joao Felix scored on the day and will look to make their mark on this game.
Atletico Madrid La Liga form: LWWWW
Sevilla La Liga form: DWWDW
Talking about injuries and suspensions, Atletico Madrid will be without the services of Hector Herrera and Jose Gimenez through injury, while Kieran Trippier is currently out with a ban. However, Stefan Savic should return to the starting lineup after serving his one match ban.
Also, Joao Felix is expected to return to the starting lineup as Suarez’s strike partner, after Angel Correa failed to make a major impact. The expected starting lineup for the game is given below.
For Sevilla, Carlos Fernandez, Sergio Escudero and Tomas Vaclik remain unavailable for selection. However, the team did not pick up any fresh issues against Real Sociedad. As a result, they are expected to field the exact eleven they played against La Real.
While the starting eleven looks to be pretty much the same, the likes of Oliver Torres and Oscar Rodriguez could receive some minutes under their belt as impact substitutes. The expected lineup for Sevilla against Atletico Madrid is given below.
- Atletico Madrid has lost just one of their last 19 LaLiga games against Sevilla. 1-0 at Ramos Sanchez-Pizjuan in October 2016. 17 of those matches have been under the leadership of Diego Simeone.
- Atletico Madrid and Sevilla have drawn their last four encounters in La Liga. This is the first time they’ve drawn four consecutive games in the top-flight. In fact, the Andalusian team could be the first away side to draw three consecutive league matches at Wanda Metropolitano.
- Sevilla hasn’t won a La Liga away game against Atletico Madrid since September 2008.
- Sevilla is one of just five teams to have won against Atletico Madrid at Wanda Metropolitano in all competitions (2-1 in January 2018 in Copa Del Rey) – they could be the first side to win twice in Atleti’s new stadium.
- Atletico Madrid is unbeaten in their last 19 Laliga home games, the best current run of any side at home in the competition.
Players to watch out for
The Moroccan international is in red hot form this season. He has found the back of the net 8 times, with 3 of them coming in the last game. He is another Sevilla FC forward who could cause the Atletico Madrid defense a lot of problems.
The Argentine winger has been an astute signing for Julen Lopetegui’s side so far. With 3 goals and 4 assists this season, he is a major threat for Sevilla on the left-hand side of their attack. The Atletico Madrid have to marshal him carefully at the Wando Metropolitano.
After signing for Atletico Madrid at the beginning of the season, Luis Suarez looks like a player reborn. With 9 goals in this season already, he will be looking to overtake his old teammate, Lionel Messi is the top scorer charts of La Liga.
After a difficult first season at Atletico Madrid, Felix has massively improved this season. Alongside Suarez, he has formed a formidable strike partnership up top, and he will be looking to cause problems for the Sevilla defence.
While Atletico Madrid does enter the match as favorites, it would be absolutely foolish to underestimate the threat of Sevilla and Simeone will be quite aware of that. With both sides looking to gain points from this fixture, it promises to be an exciting clash.
For more articles about La Liga teams, click here.