The UEFA Champions League is back for another exciting year. The groups are set, the matches ready to get kicked off in time and some exciting fixtures await us. One of them is the much talked about and anticipated fixture – F.C. Barcelona hosting F.C. Bayern Munich.
While Bayern Munich comes into this fixture as heavy favorites to win this match and also are potential favorites for winning the prestigious European Trophy all over again.
It will be for the first time in over 15 years that the name Lionel Messi will not be there with F.C Barcelona. Barcelona has had a pretty decent start to the league, winning two out of the three games and drawing the third one.
Bayern meanwhile has had a great start to the league and their statement win over Leipzig a couple of days ago will provide them with a great impetus to go on and try to win the match at Barcelona. The last time these two sides met, it was a meeting F.C. Barcelona fans would want to forget.
BARCELONA VS F.C. BAYERN MUNCHEN – STATS
- This is the first time these two sides meet since the 2019 – 20 UEFA Champions League Quarter Finals, where Bayern inflicted F.C. Barcelona with their heaviest defeat since 1951, when they lost out to local rivals Espanyol 6 – 0.
- Barcelona have lost the most matches against F.C. Bayern Munich than they have against any other side in the history of their UEFA Champions League campaign over the years. – P11, W2, D2, L7. Their only two victories have come in two home first leg ties, a 4 – 0 victory in April 2009 and a 3 – 0 victory in May 2015.
- The last time Barcelona and Bayern met in the group stages since 1998 – 99 season, where Barcelona crashed out in the group stages in one of the only three occasions it has, the other two being 1997 – 98 and 2000 – 01. Bayern meanwhile went on to the finals but lost it out to Manchester United.
- Bayern Munich are unbeaten in their last 18 away UEFA Champions League Matches – W14, D4. This is the longest away undefeated run for any side in the history of UEFA Champions League.
- Barcelona hasn’t lost any of their opening match in UEFA Champions League since losing to Newcastle 3 – 2 in 1997 – 98 season. They are unbeaten in their opening match in the 22 campaigns – W17, D5.
- Bayern have won all of their last 17 Champions League Openers since the 2003 – 04 season. This is also a current record in the Competition. They have scored 42 goals in these games and conceded only two.
- Barcelona are the favorite opponents of Thomas Muller. He has scored six goals in five games against them – more than against any other club and more than any other player has scored against the Catalans.
F.C. Barcelona (All Competitions) – W D W
F.C. Bayern Munich (All Competitions) – D W W W W W
BARCELONA VS F.C. BAYERN MUNCHEN – TEAM NEWS
Barcelona will continue to be without the services of Sergio Aguero, Ansu Fati, and Ousmane Dembele. Martin Braithwaite is also out due to a long-term injury. Gerard pique is back with the squad and looks like he will start. Both the full-backs Jordi Alba and Sergino Dest are doubtful for the clash, but both trained with the squad so it remains to be seen whether they can be called or not.
F.C Barcelona 4 – 4 – 2
Marc Andre Ter Stegen
Oscar Mingueza Gerard Pique Eric Garcia Jordi Alba
Sergi Roberto F. De Jong Sergio Busquets Pedri
Memphis Depay L. De Jong
Bayern might have to do without the services of Kingsley Coman, Serge Gnabry, and Corentin Tolisso. Marcel Sabitzer also looks like a doubt to make this trip to the Catalans.
F.C Bayern Munich 4 – 2 – 3 – 1
Benjamin Pavard Dayot Upamecano Niklas Sule Alphonso Davies
Joshua Kimmich Leon Goretzka
Jamal Musiala Thomas Muller Leroy Sane
Clash of Titians
Clearly the striker who looks promising o fill the shoes of Lionel Messi is Memphis Depay. The Dutch striker has been promising in the early games and has brought a shifting effect on the team. Though it is a tough task to hold back the Star-studded german side a player of his caliber can be a joy to watch when he scores. The Dutch International has been in fine form since joining the Catalans. He has scored for them in each of their games in the League. Depay has shown on International duty too by scoring a hattrick (3 goals) for his nation. Memphis will weight to carry Barcelona against the mighty Bayern. Depay will up against the best when it comes to scoring (playing as CF) Robert Lewandowski.
The Polish striker is having a fantastic start to a season. The player is a contender for Ballon d’Or 2020. He has scored in all matches Bayern has played so far. Also, he has scored more than 3 goals for the national side during this international break. He looks sharp and can fill his shoes again which Bayern dearly missed last season. Last Time he meet Barcelona it was not a good memory for Barca fans.
Players to Watch out for
Despite the departure of arguable the greatest player of all time, the squad of FC Barcelona looks promising to achieve quite great lengths this season. Though the financial condition of the club appears like hanging by a thread of the new management, the players look quite sharp and motivated for the season. Though there are a few players that always stand out and are a joy to watch. Looking forward to their clash with FC Bayern Munich, here are a few players that can be decisive and prove fatal for the visiting team.
It’s been a year and the youngster has made a name for himself all around the world. It has been a joy to watch this youngster last season and even experts rely on him to make Barcelona an invisible side. To watch him in this game is what everyone would love. Pedri has been the sole playmaker for the Catalans and a lot will be expected from him in this heavyweight clash.
The Dutch player who has made his place in the midfield since his arrival is De Jong. His passing, dribbling, steals, etc. Are just amazing. May times he has been a delight key figure in building the game play and scoring many times. He is indeed a player to watch week in and week out. There were some rumors of him being injured but nothing is confirmed so we expect him to start the game.
The last time Bayern faced Barcelona, they made history. Scoring 8 goals and later went on to win the whole competition. The club looks as sharp as ever as being under new management gives the club a fresh start. The starts that can be watched out for the clash against Barca are-
The youngster that made his mark in the 2020 season is an absolute joy to watch. His return from injury and exceptional pace has given him an edge over others. He can run as well as carry the ball for long distances. If it is any youngster that should be watched then it is Alphonso Davis. The last time he faced Barcelona he literally destroyed them on wings with his pace and his skill of putting pinpoint crosses for Bayern attacking players. Bayern’s new coach Naglesman will be expecting a lot from Davies.
The German Wonderkid in the Champions League is what the world is waiting for. Jamal Musiala has shown very prominent performances and still being 18 years old is what adds more to his advantage. He loved keeping the ball and the passing accuracy for his age reminds me of some old Bayern legends. Watching his play would be a grace for football fans all around the world.
It will be a very interesting and enticing match. Both clubs have been in good form in the league and it will be interesting to see how both fare in this match. Bayern comes into the clash as the heavy favorites and will look to justify their tag while Barcelona would want to quash their tag of being the underdogs.
Barcelona 2– 3 Bayern
For more such articles do click here